New and Used Hits: The Best of ApologetiX Vol 1 & 2
Ok, the first thing you have to know about the ApologetiX is that they are a parody band. You know, like Weird Al Yankovich. They take hits from all sorts of “secular” bands and write Christian based lyrics to them.
People probably go three ways with this kind of music:
A. Those Christians, always trying to copy secular musicians.
B. Hey, this is pretty funny!
C. Now this is a good way to remember Bible stories and spiritual principles because the tunes are so familiar.
Personally, I’m going with B. This stuff is hilarious and fun! I laughed out loud several times. And one reason it’s funny is that they are SO GOOD at emulating people. The sound and feel of each song is right on, and the vocalists do great impressions. Some of my favorites: “December 5 or 6 B.C. (Oh Holy Night)”- December 1963 (Oh What a Night), “It’s Not Eden”- Superman (It’s Not Easy), “Hotel Can’t Afford Ya”- Hotel California, “Meshach”- Love Shack, “Naomi Gonna Be With Ruth?,”- Only Wanna Be With You.
Just a sample here- This is “It’s Not Eden” which parodies one of my favorite bands, Five for Fighting and their song Superman.
“I can't stand to lie; I got that from Eve
I just had a bite; You gave her, Lord, to me
I warned her at first; I more than explained
That's more than some pretty fruit beside a snake
But it's not easy to be deceived
I wish that I could hide, find a pile of leaves
Finally we're wise, now my home I'll never see
There may be a curse upon me like Eve
But even she will have a righteous seed
I may be just dirt, but once she conceives
Even we may have our rights redeemed
But it's not easy to be with Eve”
This set has 20 new song parodies and 20 of their past hits. It’s a huge collection.
1. Are You Gonna Be Ike's Girl - Parody of "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" by Jet
2. JC's Mom - Parody of "Stacy's Mom" by Fountains of Wayne
3. The Voice of Sodom - Parody of "The Boys of Summer" by Don Henley
4. It's Tough (Song About Nehemiah) - Parody of "This Love" by Maroon 5
5. Welcome to the Judges - Parody of "Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns n' Roses
6. Back Intact - Parody of "Back in Black" by AC/DC
7. Good News Bookie (Live) - Parody of "Boot Scootin' Boogie" by Brooks & Dunn
8. Hotel Can't Afford Ya - Parody of "Hotel California" by the Eagles
9. Micah No. 5 - Parody of "Mambo No. 5" by Lou Bega
10. December 5 or 6 B.C. (Oh Holy Night) - Parody of "December 1963 (Oh What a Night)" by The Four Seasons
11. Santa Claus - Parody of "Panama" by Van Halen
12. It's Not Eden - Parody of "Superman (It's Not Easy)" by Five for Fighting
13. Meshach - Parody of "Love Shack" by The B-52's
14. Lifestyles of the Rich & Nameless - Parody of "Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous" by Good Charlotte
15. Wherever You Will Sow (Live) - Parody of "Wherever You Will Go" by The Calling
16. The Devil Went Down to Jordan - Parody of "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" by Charlie Daniels
17. Corinthians - Parody of "In the End" by Linkin Park
18. Baa! We're Lambs - Parody of "Barbara Ann" by Beach Boys
19. Smooth Grandmama - Parody of "Smooth Criminal" by Alien Ant Farm, Michael Jackson
20. Life Restored - Parody of "Last Resort" by Papa Roach
1. Bethlehemian Rhapsody - Parody of "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen
2. The Real Sin Savior - Parody of "The Real Slim Shady" by Eminem
3. I Love Apostle Paul - Parody of "I Love Rock and Roll" by Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
4. Story of a Squirrel - Parody of "Absolutely (Story of a Girl)" by Nine Days
5. Pray Now (Lost Art) - Parody of "All Star" by Smash Mouth
6. Livin What Jesus Spoke of - Parody of "Livin' La Vida Loca" by Ricky Martin
7. Learn Some Deuteronomy - Parody of "Pour Some Sugar on Me" by Def Leppard
8. Choirboy - Parody of "Cowboy" by Kid Rock
9. Jail Got Rocked - Parody of "Jailhouse Rock" by Elivis Presley
10. One Way - Parody of "One Week" by The Barenaked Ladies
11. Enter Samson - Parody of "Enter Sandman" by Metallica
12. Kick in the Wall Pt. 2 - Parody of "Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2" by Pick Floyd
13. Put You Down in my Will - Parody of "Push" by Matchbox 20
14. Walk His Way - Parody of "Walk This Way" by Aerosmith
15. Narrow Way to Heaven - Parody of "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin
16. Love & Kisses - Parody of "Rock and Roll All Night" by Kiss
17. Naomi Gonna Be with Ruth - Parody of "Only Wanna Be With You" by Hootie & the Blowfish
18. People - Parody of "Pepper" by Buttonhole Surfers
19. Bad Dude Risin' - Parody of "Bad Moon Risin'" by CCR
20. Jacob's Name is Israel - Parody of "Takin' Care of Business" by BTO
ApologetiX states that they aren’t out to provide a serious alternative to secular music. They want to present God’s truths in a creative way that might get under the radar and really impact somebody. There are some cool stories of people who have come to follow Christ as a result of listening to this music. This is a unique ministry and a fun listening experience.
Add this article to your Facebook or Twitter: